Monday 20 November 2006

It is when you hear from the girls themselves that it makes the sponsorship a million times more important

I just wanted to share two letters from one of the girls (I have blanked out to protect her privacy) we sponsor in our daughter's hometown. It really sums up the aspirations of these young girls and shows that what is really so little, in western monetary terms, can make such a difference for them and allows them to keep their dream alive.

Dear Aunt,
My Mum left me , my Dad got very sick, the financial situation in our family is difficulty. It was you that offered your helping hand in needed time. I am very grateful for this.


It has been more than five years since my Mum left me. I am now living with my grandpa and grandma, they care about me and tole me that I should study particularly hard under such circumstance. I am following their advices and study very hard. I concentrate during the class and complete homework seriously. I am doing well in my study.

For Chinese subject, I was ranked among the first three in the class, for maths,
I was among the first fifth. I was also good in other subjects. I also actively
take part in all sorts of activities after class. After I have done my homework. I help my grandpa and grandma with household stuff.


I will continue my efforts in studying, and keep fit so I can be a useful people when I grow up, and doing my contribution to the prosperity of our country, and do not live up to you aunt, my teachers and all person cornered.

I’d like to thank you again for your kindness and do not hesitate to let me know your expectations on me. I wish you good luck, good health and happy spring festival.

Yours sincerely
XXXX XXXX
4 Jan 2006
Class 3 Grade 5

Dear Auntie
How are you. Are you very busy at your work?


You know, I am very exciting when I am writing this letter to you.

The semester just finished, I will graduate from my primary school after
another year’s study. I did well this semester!


I achieved 96 in Chinese and 97 in math. I was appointed as a person in charge of study in our class, responsible for issues relating to study I did my best. In the final assembly, I can felt the beat of my heart because I was so nervous – I was not sure if my name could be mentioned by the school head. When my name was finally called out, I couldn’t help but jumping out. I was also awarded as "three good student (a student of overall accomplishment – translator’s note) I wish I could fly to your home and tell you these good news in person. I am sure you will be exciting when you read about this.

Auntie, I take this chance to thank you, it was you raise my hope to life, it was you that give me confident, you look after me just like my next-skin.

I will not live up to your expectation, I will study well. No matter how poor my family is, I determine to go to university for further study.

My dream is to become a teacher. This might not be a greatest job, but I like to be a teacher since I was a child. I found out teachers worked very hard for us, I think they give a lot then take in. To be a teacher is my dream and I will fight for realising this dream.
Wish you best of luck and good health,

XXXX XXXX
6 July 2006

I do hope this girl can realise her dream - she may one day study at the Fuling Teacher's College that featured in River Town- to know that our small contribution now could change not only her life but that of the children she might teach is an awesome concept!

But the road for her to realise her dream is steep. She has to be able to continue her schooling. Ane she needs to continue with her good grades. Then she will have to sit the National University exams - these are highly competitive.

And then comes the biggest hurdle - paying for the college education. My friend in Chongqing tells me that the degree/diploma takes 4 years to complete and that it costs about 6000 yuan per annum for tuiton and board but on top of that they have to pay for food and books. So if her family cannot afford for her to go to school now (at 1/20th of that cost) how can they hope to find that kind of money for a college education.

To date I have not been able to find a scheme that could assist her, and those with dreams like hers, to achieve her ambition. But hopefully in the coming years I will be able to identify some route.


1 comment:

Chelley said...

G day
my hubby and I were wondering where you do you sponsorship though? And how much?

chelley

http://chelleyau.blogspot.com/
chelleyau@gmail.com